PICNIC Young is a collection of workshops and seminars designed especially for teachers and students ages 12 to 18. The programme explores how technology and creativity can take lessons to the next level and provide a great connection to the world of today’s youth.
Want to get your hands on the latest developments in technology and innovation and learn how they can be applied in the classroom? PICNIC Young is the place to be.
PICNIC Young takes place during PICNIC ’09 from 23 to 25 September 2009 at the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam. The programme includes the Creative Playground and PICNIC Young Seminars. The Creative Playground offers hands-on workshops for students aged 12 to 18. The Seminars are for professionals from the creative industry, teachers, educators and anyone else interested in integrating technology into a learning environment.
The Creative Playground: For students (12-18 years old)
Bring your whole class to the Creative Playground from 23 to 25 September at PICNIC '09. Students work together in small groups to create installations, games, performances, prototypes and more to gain a bettter understanding of the possibilities of media and ICT, both in the role of consumer and producer. The Creative Playground runs each day from 9:30 until 15:00, and is open to a total of 300 students per day. The workshops are open to a maximum of 20 participants each and are organized in three tracks: Play, Share and Create.
- Play: This track explores the location-based games. Using your mobile phone, you can complete missions, develop stories and work together strategically with your teammates. You also learn how to develop games yourself!
- Share: Get involved in creating media! This track focuses on interviews, mini documentaries, reporting and animation. You'll learn how to work with cameras, sound equipment and editing software and discover how to put together an interesting and exciting story.
- Create: Plan and develop interactive toys, clothing or unique objects for making music. Hands-on creation with electronics, sensors and the latest computer technology.
Want to participate? Teachers can register their class via the PICNIC Young website.
PICNIC Young Seminars: For educators and creative professionals
The core PICNIC Young programme consists of international seminars for education professionals. Visitors will be inspired by readings, surprising demonstrations and illuminating examples of leading national and international initiatives. There will be two seminars available this year:
- Out of the box learning tackles learning outside the standard educational context. This seminar takes place on Wednesday 23 September. Purchase a Festival Ticket for Wednesday to participate!
- Connected classrooms explores the use of locative games and virtual worlds as a motivation for the internationalization of education. This seminar takes place on Friday 25 September. Purchase a Festival Ticket for Friday to participate!
PICNIC Young is developed in collaboration with Waag Society, Creative Learning Lab, Kennisnet Foundation, the SURFnet/Kennisnet Innovation Programme and PICNIC.
Visit the PICNIC Young website to learn more: